Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design SMT Electronics Assembly Manufacturing Forum

Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design Forum

SMT electronics assembly manufacturing forum.

Reflow Profile Type

Views: 2129


Reflow Profile Type | 3 June, 2008

Good Afternoon,

I know that most of the answers I get for this are going to be along the lines of "it's up to you" and I realize that.

But, I was wondering what the most common type of profile that is used in your shop and why? Is it the older "Soak Profile" or do you use a "Straight Ramp" or "Tent" type profile? How about for the different types of pastes (Water-soluble, no-clean, lead-free)?

The reason for this is that I've found several resources that state a "tent" profile is preferred for water-soluble pastes, yet when I look at the guidelines for the a component (example: Multi-layered chip cap), they recommend a "soak profile."

So, what's everyone using and why?


reply »


Reflow Profile Type | 3 June, 2008

Paste and part manufacturers have never been in sinc. Most part vendors still have to old profile because they know it "works"

You should always profile to what your paste manufacturer says. Then tweak from there. That's why they call it "engineering".

reply »


Reflow Profile Type | 3 June, 2008

As chunks says use the paste manufacturers recommendation. Our paste manufacturer has recommendations on both �straight ramp� and �soak� for our paste. We prefer the �straight ramp� on most boards due to the increased production it enables. There are some boards/components that do not perform properly with the �straight ramp� so we use a �soak� profile.


reply »


Reflow Oven