Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design SMT Electronics Assembly Manufacturing Forum

Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design Forum

SMT electronics assembly manufacturing forum.

GSM machine stops randomly; "BM" bus master light out

Views: 2195

Tom

GSM machine stops randomly; "BM" bus master light out | 26 September, 2019

One of our GSM1 machines occasionally stops running in the middle of a program and I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it.

When the issue occurs, the "BM" (bus master) light on the SYS68K card drops out (turns off, no activity) the board support drops down and board clamps release. The machine doesn't register e-stops or anything after that and it has to be rebooted to resume production. Unfortunately the job data is lost and the board has to be completed by hand if possible.

I have cloned and replaced the hard drive and swapped SYS68K cards. Has anyone else run into this before? Are there any logs I can look at to see some error messages?

Thanks!

reply »

GSM machine stops randomly; "BM" bus master light out | 27 September, 2019

Did you try "Logicomm" debug procedure? It might give you a hint...

reply »

Tom

Hi Deni- Thanks for the suggestion I will read up on Logicomm and see what it gets me.

reply »

Just one more thought - we had an issue with +12V supply for VME rack. One tantalum cap in the DC/DC converter module for linear encoder interpolator shorted it out, but oddly enough - not always. We ended up hooking scope to all PSU voltages and when it triggered at least we knew where to start to look for faults. Took us a while until we nailed it down. Recently, one DC/DC converter on HP servo board failed in a strange way - +12V was ok but -12 was anywhere between -4 and -8, depending on the Moon phases, stars alignment and God knows what else. Bugged us for weeks until we found it. At the end, machine gave some clues that leaded us the right way. Good luck!

reply »

Tom

Thanks for the suggestions!

reply »

GSM machine stops randomly; "BM" bus master light out | 30 September, 2019

Please report here if (and how) you manage to solve the problem - it might be helpful for all of us in the future!

reply »

Tom

GSM machine stops randomly; "BM" bus master light out | 30 September, 2019

Yes, if I figure it out I will report back.

reply »

Tom

GSM machine stops randomly; "BM" bus master light out | 11 October, 2019

FYI I did try logicomm but the log files were empty. There must be something wrong with my connections from the force board to the EPC. I'll keep investigating. I also swapped the EPC to see if that makes any difference.

reply »

Reflow Oven

PCB equipment