Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design SMT Electronics Assembly Manufacturing Forum

Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design Forum

SMT electronics assembly manufacturing forum.


Automated through hole insertion

Views: 886

#85249

Automated through hole insertion | 21 July, 2020

I have been tasked with finding the equipment necessary to fully automate our TH assembly. Currently about 98% is performed manually on stuff lines with the other 2% using a 30 year old axial inserter. I am asking if anyone else has gone down this path and any recommendations on machine suppliers or pitfalls to look for. We're processing about 3K to 4K boards per month total made up of about 10 different assemblies.

reply »

#85251

Automated through hole insertion | 21 July, 2020

Universal instruments used to build this kind of equipment back in the days. Not sure if they still do it.

reply »

#85255

Automated through hole insertion | 21 July, 2020

Yes, we have an old Universal axial and they still offer independent machines for axial, radial and DIP components, but I do not have the floor space for that. Some offer "odd form" insertion machines (Juki, Hanwha, Cenncorp)which is the direction I am leaning right now. Appreciate your response.

reply »

#85271

Automated through hole insertion | 22 July, 2020

How about Semi-Auto insertion. Only one type of machine needed to insert virtually any through hole components. The CS-400E was originally manufactured by Contact Systems and now Versatec is offering remanufactured systems...completely rebuilt to the latest OEM specifications. light guided assembly with programmable cut and clinch. One machine, one operator with insertion rates typically in the 600 CPH range. The perfect social distancing solution to replace your slidelines.

We have two machines available. Check out the specs at Versatecsolutions.com

=Greg=

reply »

#85287

Automated through hole insertion | 23 July, 2020

The odd form assemblers are extremely slow compared to the Axial & Radial UIC machines. Also there is a big cost for feeders. Key question is what is the max axial & Max radial feeder count on your biggest job and that will quickly tell you how many oddform machines you will need.

UIC & Cencorp make some nice oddform placers if you only have a few parts, Samsung/Hanwha also supply the feeders to use on certain SMT machines.

If you are using lots of PTH part types you are going to find you need lots of oddform cells which may take up more floor space. The other space saving option is to send out your parts for sequencing, and use non combi UIC machines.

reply »

#85290

Automated through hole insertion | 23 July, 2020

Insertion isn't enough. You also need cut and clinch for axial, radial, and dip components.

reply »

#85291

Automated through hole insertion | 23 July, 2020

The modular inserters usually have them built into the feeders, which is part of why each feeder is so expensive. I'm sure I saw one system with a separate clinch unit but they are all dog slow compared to a rad 5 or 8 or 6241D+.

reply »

#85292

Automated through hole insertion | 23 July, 2020

Yes, my research and feedback from one supplier in particular is that their feeders can preform, cut and clinch (although I'm not sure why you would need the clinch). We will be sending them a small kit to demonstrate to us (online) its capabilities in building our assembly.

reply »

#85294

Automated through hole insertion | 23 July, 2020

Clinch stops them moving on the wave or in transfer, it's pretty handy.

reply »

#85296

Automated through hole insertion | 24 July, 2020

Dear Charliem: We are the professional manufacturer of SMT equipment and want to do the business with you if possible. We have been producing the SMT machines and intelligent equipment for many years, integrated Design, R&D, Production, Sales and Technical Service. What products we manufactured are: SMT Printer/Stencil Printer/Solder Paste Printer, Pick and Place Machine, SPI/AOI, Reflow Oven, Wave Soldering, Coating Machine, Glue Dispenser, Insertion Machine, Laser Marker, Laser Soldering Machine, Loader/Unloader, Conveyor and Tinning Machine etc. On the other hand, we are the agency of: HANWHA (SAMSUNG) Chip Mounter and Pick&Place Machine, HELLER, PEMTRON, SAKI etc., and dedicated to provide the customers with professional and comprehensive one-stop solutions of the electronic assembly line. Any inquiry would be appreciated by Mobile/WeChat: 0086 13063047785 or scan my WeChat QR code. Yours sincerely Wellman Rau Senior Manager International Business Dept. Mobile/Wechat/WhatsApp: +86 130 6304 7785 Skype: wellmanrau@yeah.net">wellmanrau@yeah.net Email: wellman@htgdsmt.com">wellman@htgdsmt.com ; wellmanrau@yeah.net">wellmanrau@yeah.net Shenzhen HTGD Intelligent Equipment Co., Ltd. Website: http://www.htgdsmt.com" target="_blank">http://www.htgdsmt.com

Attachments:

reply »

Industry 4.0 Reflow Oven

Metcal soldering rework