Alpha Assembly Solutions, a MacDermid Performance Solutions Business and a world leader in the development, manufacturing, and sales of innovative materials used in the assembly electronics, industrial joining and Photo Voltaic market places, is seeking a Reliability/Failure Analysis Scientist for their South Plainfield, NJ location.
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB
The general purpose of this position is to develop and perform failure analysis and reliability testing for Alpha core product lines (solder paste, preforms, LED and sintered materials). The position is also responsible for assisting in carrying out day-to-day activity for Alpha product evaluation and characterization, development process recommendation through conducting experiments, gathering, analyzing and interpreting scientific data.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work as a failure analysis engineer in the R&D Department of lead solder materials manufacturer.
• Conduct root cause analysis of defects, field failures and experimental materials to identify problems and modify processing.
• Prepare test specimens cutting, mounting, grinding, polishing and chemical etching.
• Perform microstructural analysis using light optical microscopy.
• Perform mechanical testing using Macro/Micro Vickers and Rockwell hardness methods.
• Examine and interpret fracture surfaces using stereo microscopy and SEM/EDS.
• Assists in equipment maintenance
• Write technical reports showing metallurgical results.
• Manage heat treatments samples in metallurgical lab.
• Perform failure Analysis of electronic components using SEM/EDS and X-ray.
• Further develop and enhance analysis techniques in order to offer support for complex failure mechanism determination
• Generate technical reports, record test results on standardized forms and write test reports describing procedures used Best Practice documents, SOPs
• Interact with R&D team, Alpha marketing and sales regarding various technical issues
The qualified candidate must:
• Possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline and have a minimum of three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of training and education. Master’s degree desired.
• Experience with new product development and commercialization desired.
• Must be able to travel up to 10% of working time both domestically and globally.
All applicants should apply online at http://www.alphaassembly.com.
"Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled – E-Verify Company”